My friend at work is going to school at SLCC and taking an English class of some sort and they were studying memoirs. He read about some dude living in the woods or something, but he said that everyone was talking about this book: The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker. My co-worker, a married-for-two-years-24-year-old, knowing that I am old and still single clearly, thought that I should read this book, I think just because it had "Mormon" and "Singles" in the title, but whatever, I went out and bought it.
This book is from a girls point of view of being single in the Mormon church, but I still thought that this book was hilarious, but remember how this is probably the first book that I have read since the last Harry Potter, so take what you want from this little review. Elna brings up a lot of touchy issues with being in the Mormon church and being single, but makes them funny and relate-able to anyone who isn't familiar with the Mormon church and it didn't end at all like I thought it would.
My favorite part is when she starts working at FAO Schwarz acting as an adoption nurse and selling life-like baby dolls. She tells about a display baby doll that was hideously ugly, but if they had any down time they should take this baby, which they called Nubbins, and pretend to rock it and never break character. Well, here is a little excerpt to make you laugh a little:
"September and October are traditionally slow months at FAO Schwarz, and with no customers to attend to, we spent a lot of time holding, rocking, and bouncing Baby Nubbins. So much time that we actually started to resent him.
To entertain ourselves we invented a game. Actually, I invented it, but the other girls went along with it. The object of the game was this: While a nurse was working with a customer, you had to try to get her to break character by doing something horrible to Baby Nubbins.
For example, I opened all the drawers to all the cabinets in the adoption center and while another nurse was doing an adoption, I carefully walked down the aisle and rocked Nubbins's head into the jagged edges of each drawer, while humming a lullaby."
I could get into a lot of things that happened in the book and how she questions her faith over and over again, but I thought it was a laugh out loud book along with some issues that I think every Mormon-single feels. There. You didn't ask for my opinion on a book that you probably never of heard of, but you got it anyway. If you read the book let me know and we can talk about it. Now let's see if I can read another book this year...
Peace! (I just recently started saying this and I think it will grow on you..)

4 comments:
Oh my goodness I love that book! My mom got it for me for my birthday two years ago and I read it and loved it, then she forgot that she had gotten it and got it for my birthday again last year. This was a good thing because I had lost my first copy in a move anyway. Anyway, I love that book. You should look her up on youtube and watch some of her stand-up comedy. I seriously would recommend that book to anyone. Good job to you for reasing it!
Yay, you read a book! (Now to find you another one... ;) )
Congrats on finishing a book - I bet you could finish another one by the end of the year!
So, is your copy available for borrowing? It sounds like something I would enjoy reading :) I'm up for a good laugh anytime, and I'm an older-than-dirt single Mormon so I need all the laughter I can get!
Sounds hilarious...I could picture you treating Baby Nubbins to a drawer bashing or two. :)
Post a Comment