Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The 20:10 Experiment

(Notice how it says "mad scientist," you might think I am mad after this post...)

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I believe what Ralph (we are on a first name basis...) is saying that first, we must be useful, honorable, and compassionate and then happiness will follow. These, of course, are just some of the things that we can do to be happy, but you have to start somewhere...

So, to do as Ralph has said and "to make some difference that you have lived," I have devised a plan to make myself more useful, honorable, and compassionate in 2010. In order to do this, I believe that I will not only have to look inside of myself, but I will have to reach out to those around me because we know those famous words of King Benjamin,

"When Ye Are in the Service
of Your Fellow Beings Ye Are Only in the
Service of Your God" (Mosiah 2:17)

So, I have broken 2010 into 20 things I am going to do for others and 10 things I am going to do for myself so that I can more effectively start making a difference in the world around me. I am calling this The 20:10 Experiment and I believe by doing this experiment I will not only begin to understand what it means to be happy, but I will begin to understand the importance of service. I am pretty sure that I will find a little change in myself as well... If you want to try it with me for the 2010 year, feel free. The lists of things I will be attempting to do in 2010 are on the side of the blog.



While my blog will obviously still be about me and the happenings in my life, it will now also be about the experiences that I will hopefully have while experimenting with the 20 and the the 10... Wish me luck and now it is time to party! Happy New Year!

PS. Good luck to you if you choose to do it with me:)

13 comments:

Matt and Vicki said...

You are one of the most amazing people I know. You are such a great example. I hope I can follow your lead and do good things for others and myself this year as well. And when you need an audience, Matt and I would be willing to participate.

Katherine said...

I super love this. Let's talk!

Shiv said...

I might be able to get on the 10:5 experiment train, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough for the full 20:10 deal.

Steve, you are constantly amazing me in the ways you are looking to improve yourelf, and in that way, you help to improve all those around you. You are definitely one of my favorite friends! Love ya lots :)

Miss Anona said...

Wow, what a creative idea. I like it. I especially like #2 of your 10 (wink, wink). I will try to come up with my own and then decide if I'm in or not. You're great

Megan said...

Woo. You've inspired me again. And you're brave to post your goals on your blog. I would, but then I'd be accountable. :)

Kaylyn said...

I love it Steve! You are very cool and I think I should try these things too!

Brian, Quinnette & Lily said...

I love the new blog setup and good luck on your 2010 journey!!

Valerie said...

Wow! These are some great goals Steve! Some of these goals might be pushing it for me a little bit, but I'm going to go ahead and say I'll do it with you. It will be good for me anyway... but you might have to hold me check up on me : )

Whitty Mom said...

Really love this idea, I think that I will be on board with this and am going to try and make my list this week! Love you

Bethany said...

i can't wait to be part of the 20. serve me.

only kidding. i'll jump on the "you're great" bandwagon. where do you come up with this stuff? fancy pants.

Keri Saravia said...

Love it! I just might follow you on this!! This can only be awesome!!

Stac said...

Awesome list! I'd love to sample some food... since I can't cook myself.

kk said...

I'm in, but need help coming up with ideas!