As some of you know, I sing in firesides done by Jenny Phillips and she will be coming out with a new CD in a couple months. In preparation for this new CD and the new firesides, she sent out an e-mail that gave us a challenge and you know how I like a challenge. So, I thought the idea was so cool and it fit into my mantra of balancing out the now perfectly so I thought I would pass along this challenge to my few, but great blog readers! Just think about this...
In one year, if you watch an average of just 30 minutes of TV a day and one movie a week, you will watch 294 hours of TV/movies a year (I know most of us do this, if not more!). If you study the gospel an average of 5 minutes a day, in one year, you will spend 30 hours studying the gospel. In 30 years, that is 8,820 hours of TV/movies and 900 hours of studying the gospel. Can you believe this?! Well, there is a solution to this problem and, you guessed it, a challenge!
For TWO MONTHS starting Monday March 23, 2009 try the following:
1) Study the gospel for 30+ minutes everyday. In addition to that, replace the majority of the time you would normally spend watching TV/movies with studying the gospel and/or watching/listening to conference talks, writing in your journal, doing family history work, exercising (think distance challenge..), or giving service. When you are going to watch TV or a movie, make sure you have studied the gospel first and ask yourself if you have balanced your day with things of the spirit enough first.
2) Turn off or avoid any entertainment that is immoral or violent in ANY way.
If you would like to take this challenge, you must:
1) Not currently be studying the gospel for 30+ minutes every day.
2) And you must be watching TV shows/movies which are immoral in some way (which is probably all of us!)
For this challenge, I won't be giving a reward, but I think the reward, if you do it, will be much better than anything I could ever give you:) So are you up to another challenge?
6 comments:
I'm in!
Oh and does studying and preparing for my Mia Maid lesson each week count, since I got the calling like yesterday?
I love this...love, love, love. You're my inspiration (sung in a Chicago like voice)...
when does the distance challenge end?
Hey Steven Lamb! You have a blog! I'm so glad I stumbled upon it. Hooray!
we can't do this unless we watch immoral television?! Something seems wrong with that....
Post a Comment