Monday, March 16, 2009

Add this to your exercise equation..

Have you ever heard that you are suppose to be drinking 8 glasses of water a day? Well, this is not necessarily true... Did I just rock your world right then? Just wait... for optimal results with our exercise, it is suggested that we drink 1mL of fluid per 1kcal (calorie) consumed. So, this means, if you are on a 2,000 calorie diet, you should be drinking about 2,000 mL (2 Liters) of water, which isn't alot considering we are mostly made of water:) Drinking water lowers your body's overall temperature, requiring more heat to get it warm again, and that heat comes from burning calories, and burning calories, as we all know, is how we get the pounds off. Cool, right?


What about Protein? Protein is important for two major reasons when talking about exercise. 1.) It is crucial in maintaining body tissue and 2.) it is crucial to the body's immune system. If you aren't getting enough protein, study's have shown that you will have an accelerated loss of muscle tissue and an increased risk of infection. So, be sure you are getting fish, non-fat cheese, lean turkey, lean ham, and beans along with plenty of water and you might notice a difference in your workout and in yourself... If you aren't doing so well on the Distance Challenge do not get discouraged! Look at my mileage... not good, but I once got this fortune thing in my Dove chocolate bar... (Ummm.. I am working on the chocolate issue, back off...) that said Make Someday, Today! So, start today because we still have about a month and a half! (I believe everything I read on a Dove chocolate bar and so should you..)


Emile Coue

3 comments:

Shiv said...

Drinking water may be the ONE healthy thing I am actually good at. I usually drink 2 or more liters of water while sitting at my desk. I am not as good on the weekends though. One thing at a time, right?

I tried to comment on your "What's New? I will tell you..." post, but my computer is being retarded. I have found when I think I am up for a challenge I need to really, really be up for it because it's always magnified a hundred times from how I think it will turn out. Life is just like that I guess. Way to look on the bright side of being able to enjoy your summer with your family.

I think you should make a CD with some of your favorite songs on them - love Mute Math - so I can fully share in your joy :)

Shiv said...

p.s. The comment I just posted was more of a short novel... Sorry to ramble on.

Shayla said...

you are so insightful Steve. now I think I'll go eat some lamb chops...