(Me, in Nonoai, weighing in at about 128 lbs... Good thing I was wearing a coat..)Recently, my mission has been on my mind, yes, I have been home for 3 years, but for those of you who have served a mission might be able to relate to what I say now... It is similar to any sort of blues that you may get, maybe you have felt the post vacation blues or the post dessert blues, they are close to the post mission blues, but I guess those blues don't creep up on you 3 years later..
While serving in Porto Alegre South, Brazil, I had the opportunity to serve with a Senior Couple, the Funks. At the time I was in a little town called Camaqua and I was the only American out of 4 Elders in that remote area. When the Funks arrived it was like I got to see my parents in the mission field, they made Camaqua feel like home. Recently I learned that Elder Funk had fallen on his bike and had to be rushed to the hospital due to a severe head injury. I communicated with Sister Funk via e-mail and she would give me the update on his status every week or so. Finally being able to speak, Elder Funk spoke to his wife in Portuguese saying, "Tudo Bem." (meaning "All is well") Shortly after thinking that maybe he was going to heal and after several surgeries, Elder Herman Funk passed away.
What a great opportunity it was for me to have met this dedicated and great man in the true church. Yes, 3 years is a long time, but I feel like it was yesterday that I weighed in at 130 lbs and was the happiest I think I have ever been. The people I met completely changed my life and though I have forgotten much about my mission, the feelings and lessons I learned from great people like Elder Funk I will never forget.
Thus the post mission blues... I continually think of those 2 years well spent and try to apply those things I learned in a foreign country here in my everyday life and it has proven to be quite the challenge, but I hope that at the end of my life I can say, "Tudo Bem," All is well, all is right, all is how someone greater than us all wanted my life to be... wouldn't you?
4 comments:
It's always hard to say goodbye to great men, but at least we can say that they touched our lives.
I completely understand the mission blues. Your story sounds vaguely familiar...Three years ago...living in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro, in my case)...loving life...loving the people...then you have to leave.
Fique firme, rapaz. Sinto-o faulta tambem. Sei que voce era um bom missionario.
"I will remember you, will you remember me? Don't let your life pass-as you byyyyy. Wait not fo-or the memories."
I am singing you that extra sad song that was big in junior high. It always helps to get the tears out. For real. "Closing Time" or "It's something unpredicable, but in the end that's right. I hope you had the time of your life." This one gets me everytime. But, in all seriousness, I think mission blues has the right to come back for YEARS and YEARS to come. How can it not? It was one of the greatest experiences of our lives that lasted for YEARS. It just shows how much you love those people.
You make me cry, Stevie. I miss the mish, even though I've supposedly "moved on" with my life. How could you ever MOVE ON from something so incredible? I think it just goes with you and manifests itself at the times you need it the most. Thanks for bringing back missionary moments (tearing up at hearing others' feelings about THEIR mission) today!
Post a Comment