This later set me up for failure in college, thinking that I was all that and a bag of chips, artistically, when I decided to take a wheel thrown pottery class. The professor was some Hippie that told me nearly everyday that I had no creative ability... For the life of me, I couldn't get the clay to center on that stupid wheel. When it did, I would slowly start working the clay up to form a beautiful pot and I would almost get it 3 inches high and the stupid thing would spin out of control and I would have to start the whole process over again. If it hadn't been for my friend Katherine, my most creative friend ever, I would have failed that class miserably... (Shout Out!) Needless to say, I never had a Ghost experience with wheel thrown pottery, but Unchained Melody did play in my head once or twice..


So, when my friends invited me to Color Me Mine, panic ensued, but thank goodness we didn't actually have to make any of our stuff from scratch. I started slow with just a bowl and some free hand work.
It felt good and so I went again.. Color Me Mine wasn't ready for this jelly.
Color Me Mine was soon abbreviated to CMM because that is what the hipsters do and now we know the people who work there... even their middle names... and now it has become somewhat therapeutic just me and the girls chatting it up about life's struggles and the latest gossip... who would have thought. And now this madness. Impressed? You should be...
![]() |
| Ghana Bowl |
![]() |
| Ghana Stripes |
I have decided that this is now my new hobby. I have kept a secret for too long and I shouldn't be ashamed. So what if craft time is normally for girls and small children, I love it and I don't care who knows it!
So, who's coming next time? Don't be intimidated by my insane talent...
So, who's coming next time? Don't be intimidated by my insane talent...





7 comments:
Excuse my french but DAAAANG.... you got some skills son. I've never been there before. I'm going with my sisters in July though. I'm excited. Seriously though I LOVE the red and black plate and the green and black swirled bowl. SO much fun!!! I say if you got a talent, you oughta share it!!!! :)
Holy crap Steve, that hippie art teacher didn't know what he was talking about. You have serious creativity! I love what you've done, and you shouldn't be ashamed of enjoying some craft time. Matt loves that kind of stuff too. We would love to do this with you some time!
P.S. Thanks for the shout-out. And don't worry, I passed Katie's college pottery class for her as well. :)
I actually had to withdraw from college pottery because I was in danger of failing the class (I am certain that had I stayed in it would be the only F on my transcript, and it probably would have prevented me from getting into graduate school, thus rendering my life useless). So good job! I am definitely impressed with your art!
CMM is so much fun! I love it. And I love going with you! I have very little artistic talent, but this is a good way for me to "appear" artistically talented :) As soon as I get my hands on my latest creation, you can expect a blog post about it :)
I had no idea you were so artistic! Love this! Thanks for sharing!
P.S. I'll be home in a week and we should play!
i've been keeping my talents of pottery painting a secret as well. i would love to see what our combined talent could create.
way to go, getting in touch with your artistic side :)
very cool Steve! Love the yellow and red plate and the design.
Post a Comment