Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lose Your Story..

Months ago I was going to this gym called GPP Fit (I don't even know what it stands for..) and the trainer there Neil Anderson told us that we needed to "lose our story" or in other words get rid of the excuses that are holding you back. I drove passed GPP the other day and this slogan, "lose your story," is now on the front of the building and it got me to thinking, what stories am I creating in my mind to justify holding myself back from anything in life?

We all do it. We tell ourselves, "I can't lose weight because of this" and "I can't eat healthy because of that." We justify simple things like not reading because "we're slow readers" or we justify not being in love because "I come with too much baggage" or "I don't have time for that right now." We create these stories or excuses in our heads that keep us from doing a lot of things in life. I fall captive to this everyday even with normal things like donating blood and recycling... and I have decided that it's time to lose the story.

I am currently doing crossfit workouts at Crossfit22 and if you know anything about crossfit, it is intense. Everytime I go it is like an episode of the Biggest Loser... For example, this was one of my latest workouts...

21 Pull-ups
50 Double unders
50 Sit ups
15 Thrusters
15 Pull-ups
40 Double unders
40 Sit ups
9 Thrusters
9 Pull-ups
30 Double unders
30 Sit ups
20 Double unders
20 Sit ups
10 Double unders
10 Sit ups

All of this and when I tell people that I do crossfit they don't believe me because I still look the same... but that is beside the point. I haven't lost my story yet. I keep telling myself that I will never be fit because I never was an athlete, I was always the fat kid.. Well ladies and gentleman I am losing this story and going at it full force.

I am losing my story that I don't have time for reading. I am losing my story that needles terrify me and that's why I don't donate blood. I am losing my story that I don't recycle because my neighbor doesn't let me, which was true for a while, but now he is in a lock-down facility because he's crazy... Anyway, it's time to move on. It's time to stop making excuses for not being the best that I can be. What stories are you holding onto that are holding you back? What are you willing to give up? Who's going to come with me to Crossfit? :)  It's time.

8 comments:

Sharifa said...

I just looked at the Crossfit22 website. It looks AWESOME! Seriously. And you are so right about 'losing your story'. I do the exact same thing about the same stuff you do it sounds like. Minus the crazy neighbor part.. I only have weirdo, pee on your fence neighbors. haha.

Shiv said...

Count me out for crossfit... but don't count me out on "losing my story." I love this post. You should be an inspirational speaker!

Paige said...

I am glad you are no longer at GPP fitness. I drove by yesterday evening and the windows were all steamed with the sweat of a million unhealthies stuck in an old video store. I don't think that is good for your health.

I will also be losing my story. I mean, heck, my dad let me borrow his freaking treadmill and yet it just sits downstairs and I haven't used it for a week at the moment. The story is too dumb to tell - and too dumb to relive. Thanks!

Audrey said...

Um, how did I not know that you are doing crossfit? Oh wait, it could be that I never ask you anything about yourself. Rude of me, sorry! I'm so excited for you though! I did Crossfit the fall/winter of 2009-2010 and LOVED it! Okay, it was more of a love hate relationship but I never felt better. Funny thing: I called my trainer from there and just signed up again for Crossfit 801. Life just isn't the same without burpies... ha!

Good job though! I'm super proud of you and excited for you!

Lamb said...

Sharifa- you should come with me to Crossfit22, I love it. I love the people. I love the workouts. I go every morning at 6:30AM. Let me know when you want to meet me there!

Shiv- I am only inspirational via e-mailing and blogging, I am rarely inspirational in person, but I will work on it:) Ha!

Paige- I am glad I don't go to GPP anymore. When they moved into that video store I was out. It stunk bad and I just kinda hated it... When it gets good weather we should go running or something together outside and believe me, I am NOT a runner!

Paige said...

That would be awesome! I am needing an exercise pal, because heaven knows my husband will never gain an ounce of weight on his little frame. These 2 kids of mine sure made me a sad excuse for a person :) Text me your number again, because I got a new phone and lost some contacts - including you :( So sorry

Desiree said...

I LOVED this post. What a great slogan. That is awesome that you're overcoming the things that hold you back. Wasn't it Elder Uchtdorf that spoke on that? I need to listen to the talks again. :) I love the message of this blog post though. We all make excuses. I need to do better as well. :)

Tarika said...

Good job! I need to lose my story. I'll work on it. What a great slogan.