Friday, December 17, 2010

My Top 20 Songs of 2010.

I guess I should have called this "my top Indie songs of 2010" because I am guessing that most of you will have never heard of these songs, but I am always looking for different music that "speaks" to me and these songs really spoke to me this year. Let me know what you think. (Let me know if you need me to burn you a CD, too...)
(The word "Listen" is a link to hear the music, I couldn't figure out how to change the color of it..)

TWENTY... Reel Me In - Aqualung


This is one of those songs that is kind of a sad message masked in an upbeat tempo. I like the distinctiveness of the lead singers voice and I really like the lyrics. I think a lot of us, at times, can relate to his lyrics that say, "Cause I'm just down there praying someone hears my S.O.S. I'm drowning, oh reel me in." Listen to it here.

NINETEEN... The Truth - Kris Allen


Yes, I watched this season of American Idol and I must say it was probably the last "somewhat" good season of Idol, but I wasn't a huge fan of Kris Allen until this song. In my opinion, his awesome voice was finally complemented with outstanding lyrics. I think all of us at some point are faced with a need to be perfect for someone, but instead of admitting that we are not perfect, we choose to remain dishonest with ourselves. Listen to it here.

EIGHTEEN... The Only Exception - Paramore
Okay, I know there are some Paramore haters out there and I used to be one of them, but this song changed who I thought Paramore was. I think we all would like to think that we are "the exception" and maybe we aren't, but there is someone out there that thinks we are even if we don't. Listen and Watch Here.


SEVENTEEN... Giving Up The Gun - Vampire Weekend


I think these guys have such a different sound than anyone out there today. It is refreshing and fun and I have been a fan of theirs for awhile now. They are just fun, I have nothing more to say about them. Listen Here.

SIXTEEN... Mean - Taylor Swift
Yep, she made the list. I have a love/hate relationship with Taylor. While some of you despise country, I happen to like it, but Taylor is so famous that it almost makes me not want to like her. Then I see what a great influence she is on a lot of people and I can't help, but love her. This song is simple, but it just goes to show that mean people never make it in the world so, be nice already and maybe someday we will be as rich as her... probably not... but it still pays to be nice. Listen.


FIFTEEN... You and Your Heart - Jack Johnson
If you don't like Jack then I am not sure we can be friends... just kidding, but seriously this guy is an amazing guitarist, a pretty awesome singer and he reminds us that sometimes we shouldn't be so disconnected. Listen.

FOURTEEN... Let the Rain - Sara Bareilles
Don't you ever wish you could just start all over? Well, Sara does, too and I could not agree more with her. Sometimes I just want to "let the rain come down and make brand new ground." Luckily, we have the chance to do this everyday. I heard somewhere once... okay it was while I watching, maybe through tears, Extreme Home Makeover... Only you can stop you. So, what's stopping you from starting over? Listen.

THIRTEEN... God Gave Me You - Dave Barnes
God gives us people to help us along this crazy journey. I have many people I could sing this to, but I will let Dave do it because he freaking rocks. This is my song for those of you willing to read this dumb blog... Listen.

TWELVE... Kickin' With You - Jason Mraz
This song just makes you feel good inside and nothing heals the soul better than kickin' with friends! Listen

ELEVEN... You Don't Know What Love Is - Daniel Merriweather
This song is a remake, but I love it so much. I could sing it at the top of my lungs... but I won't. Love is a fickle thing... or so I have been told, and sometimes we just don't know how to love at all we "just do what what [we're] told" and I pretty sure that's not how it works... Listen.

TEN... Rhythm of Love - Plain White T's
Surprised? I am. After Hey There Delilah I didn't think I could ever listen to these guys again... that song makes me want to poke my eyes out, but suddenly they come out with this awesome, chill song and well they are forgiven. Heck they made my top 10! Listen.


NINE... Betty - Brooke Fraser


This another one of those songs that have an interesting message underneath an upbeat and fun tempo. Betty is a girl with a funky birthmark that keeps her from doing things she wants to. She keeps people locked out. We may not have a funky birthmark that we are self-conscious of, but we all have things that keep us from our true potential as Brooke reminds us, "You've got your secrets, you've got your regrets, darling, we all do." So, we all are, in a way, like Betty. Listen.

EIGHT... Parachute - Ingrid Michaelson
I believe this is a remake, too, but this is something very different for Ingrid. It has such a catchy beat and fun lyrics that it makes me excited for new direction Ingrid is going! Listen.


SEVEN... Rolling in the Deep - Adele


She is back and she is a little bitter and I like it. I am drawn to Adele's voice. It is so unique that you can't help, but at least appreciate how "out of the box" she really is. Even if you don't like her, which it seems either people really like her or just really hate her, listen to this song and it might change your mind. If her soulfulness isn't enough to keep you intrigued, then I don't know what will.. Listen.

SIX... Best of Me - Michael Buble
This song makes me think about the future. It makes me hope that I haven't used up the best parts of who I am yet, that there is still some good qualities in me that I can share with someone else. Listen.

FIVE... Uncharted - Sara Bareilles
She made it twice, what can I say she is lyrically and vocally stunning. I don't even know where to start... Often times I find myself taking the passenger seat to my perfectionism and one line in this song sums up my year.. "Compare where you are to where you wanna be and you'll get nowhere." I have goals, but sometimes my goals put me so far in the future that I forget to just breathe and go with the flow. Listen.


FOUR... Sing My Lonesome Away - Matt Wertz
This may or may not be my theme song, but don't feel bad for me! I really just love Matt Wertz, his voice is like that still, small voice that whispers truths in my ear... well the other still, small voice... I guess I have a lot of voices in my head. Anyway just Listen!


THREE... Beg Steal or Borrow - Ray LaMontagne
This song is a small snippet of my life. Ray's voice is a raspy, sweet lullaby of perfection. (I just came up with that...) He wow's me with his songwriting ability and I can only hope to "steal" some of his talent someday! Listen.


TWO... Anchor - Mindy Gledhill
I know what you are thinking, "The Mormon Mindy who sings churchy EFY songs?" Well yes, and no. She made a new CD this year and it blew me away. She remained true to sending positive messages and keeping the Spirit in her music, but she took a different approach and I couldn't be happier. Anchor is a reminder that our Heavenly Father continues to help us even when we are a little lost in the world. Listen and Watch.


NUMERO UNO!! Windows are Rolled Down - Amos Lee


I can't think of a better way to end the year than to have Amos Lee come out with a single that combines his amazing voice with incredible, freeing lyrics and easy-going guitar jamming. This song transports you to summer with the windows all rolled down, the sun on your face, the warm wind rushing in and you have a moment to close your eyes and just think of how blessed and free you really are. This song is pure contentment to me. I could listen to it a million times. Now you Listen.

There you have it. Some of my favorites this year. What were some of yours? Leave comments and suggestions and stay tuned for the 20:10 Experiment finale... it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be... Peace!

4 comments:

Shiv said...

I love this list... I know about half the songs :) I'm always up for you making a CD. I think your CD's keep me company most often when I'm driving back and forth from Tooele.

Katherine said...

I love all of this! You have great musical taste, my friend. I like the new format on your blog, it looks great!

Laura said...

I think you have great taste in music as well.

I know what you mean about Taylor Swift. In theory I think a lot of her most famous songs are kind of pathetic, but at the same time, they inspire a lot of people and have really simple clear messages.

Anyway, good job and I'm looking forward to more updates!

Meggera said...

Love love love this list! I appreciate your taste in music! We are so very similar in our musical preferences.