Friday, July 16, 2010

New York & Vermont


This past week I was able to go with the Jenny Phillips Choir to some great and sacred places. We were able to sing in probably every single church history site including the Sacred Grove where Joseph was visited by our Heavenly Father and His Son. It was really amazing to see these historic places, but it was more amazing to feel of the incredible Spirit that resides in places where prophets have walked.


We first had a fireside in Vermont at the birth place of Joseph Smith. We were a little (a lot) tired because of our red-eye flight from Salt Lake, but we were able to see the monument there and hear the story of how it took them months to get that monument in that exact place. Off to the side of the monument stood what was left of Joseph Smith's home where he grew up and he experienced that story that most of us are familiar with about his leg surgery.


We visited the E.B. Grandin building where the first Book of Mormon was published and printed. 5,000 copies were made in a little over 6 months
which was an amazing feat considering the incredible labor and time that went in to having such a large book printed and leather bound.


We visited the sight where Alvin Smith, Joseph Smith's brother, was buried.


We were able to go to the Palmyra Temple, which stands minutes away from the Sacred Grove.

Pres. Hinckley requested a window that over looks the Sacred Grove within the Palmyra Temple. This is it and they said that when Sister Hinckley saw the window inside the temple she sat down next to it and looked out over the Sacred Grove and said to Pres. Hinckley "Well, who needs to go any further, I could sit here all day!"


Afterward, guess who we ran into and sang for... that's right DONNY OSMOND! I really wasn't that excited, but everyone was pretty funny about it:)

We got to see the Hill Cumorah Pageant. Unbelievable. For my first pageant ever, I think it was pretty awesome.


Sunday, after church, we visited the Sacred Grove. We walked in and decided to sing Joseph Smith's First Prayer. The Spirit was thick and I was humbled to be in such a sacred place, a place where a prayer was answered and the Restoration of the truthfulness of the gospel began.


I love these people.

Needless to say, it was an amazing trip and I hope to go there again soon! It made me miss my mission to some degree. Life was so simple on the mission. You had one goal, bring people unto Christ. Now, with work and life shifting things up, it is hard to focus on that one goal, but this trip reminded me that life is still as simple as it was on the mission. If we still focus on coming unto Christ in humility, work and all that other stuff harmonize with that primary goal and thus life gets a little simpler, not easier, but simpler.

Take what you want from this post, but anyone up for a trip to Palmyra? Let's go!

11 comments:

Kaylyn said...

I wish you could have come a little bit south and visited DC!! Looks like an awesome trip and I am especially glad you sang for Donny.

Katherine said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Did you take all these pictures? I super love the picture of the temple, it's awesome.

Shiv said...

You left out the part about singing for Donny when you were telling me this...

I'm so glad you had a good time on your trip. It really is an awesome place to go. I haven't seen the pageant there so maybe next year we could go for that.

Tami's Eclectic Corner said...

I love your blog. It really was an amazing trip. I'm so glad that I got to know you. Can I adopt you as my little brother since I'm not old enough to be your mom? LOL!

Mom and Dad Lamb said...

We LOVE you you made us cry what a sweet experience for you. We are up for the same trip so count us in but you will have to wait for nine months.

Kristin said...

Looks like an amazing trip! Reminded me of my Semester in Nauvoo days and our history tours. I'm always in for a trip, haha!

Laura said...

Awwww tender... those pictures and those stories took me straight back to my mission (I served in NY). And the pictures are awesome! I am only slightly jealous, but I'm glad you had fun.

Lamb said...

Thanks for all the comments! I love comments! Laura- I didn't know you served there, I fell in love with the sister missionaries because they all were so dang cool! Kristin- we need to talk about your Nauvoo experience, and I am ready to plan a trip ASAP! Tami- just consider me family, love ya!
I took some of the photos, but the really good ones were by my awesome friend Cristi Bastian. She has her own business, check it out Hiya Papaya!

Cindi Lou said...

For a trip back, have you thought about the possibility of being a part of the pageant next year?? Just imagine those experiences you could have to add to these ones. You could do it.

Just a thought...

P.S. I commented, happy?? ;)

beachbum said...

Steve, Mike and I took that same trip several years ago and it was amazing. Being in the sacred grove was so peaceful. Mike and I were the only ones in the garden at the time and it was a really special experience.
Glad you had a wonderful trip!
Mike & Carol Adams

Stac said...

You should've sang "Soldier of Love" for Donny... it would've been hilarious.