Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cha-cha-changes!

Recently, I have been looking into Physical Therapy schools and the ones I like will more than likely take me to the East Coast and I got to thinking... I could be moving to the East Coast at the end of this year! Yikes! How things are changing so quickly and sometimes I don't even realize they are changing... And if you know me you will know I hate change, but last week I think I finally accepted it. You're probably thinking, "Yay for you, we accepted it a long time ago..."
Well, I have accepted it and I have accepted that change is something so essential to life! All of this occurred to me at 4:45 AM when most of my "deep thinking" occurs while I am getting ready to start my day... weird, I know, but the house is quiet and all I am left with, are my thoughts. This is when it occured to me that being "Low Key," which I have been for most of my life needs to change. I have been a low key student, a low key boyfriend, a low key friend, and a low key employee, which has previously meant that I am so low that people mistake me for the carpet... There is a time and a season in which everything changes and I am afraid this is my season. Change has never felt so good! Soon after that realization, I read a quote by Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley which said,

You are good.
But it is not enough to be good.
You must be good for something.
You must contribute to the world.
The world must be a better place for your presence.
And the good that is in you must be spread to others.


We should all be good for something. What are your good for? In order for us to be good for something, active change has to occur in one way or another. I say active because if being low key has taught me anything, change is something we seek, not pray it will happen someday.. Things can get left in the dust of change, but hopefully we will keep what is important to us close by. So, it is still not to late to make some goals for the new year. And it certainly isn't too late for change! Sorry for my random thoughts, but I thought this would be much more uplifting than telling you about how I was personally attacked by one of my guitar students' parents... we'll save that for a later post...

Steve out.

5 comments:

Gregory said...

Friend, I loved every second of this post. It was written beautifully. As scary as they have been, the last few major (and minor for that reason) changes that I have either made in my life or have been made for me have ended up being the BEST situations for me, despite their difficulty. I have ALL THE CONFIDENCE in the world that you would more than excel back East. (Besides, it definitely gives me somewhere to visit!!!) You are an amazing person. In fact, I don't tell you that enough. You, my best friend, are amazing!
. . . and I miss you!

Shayla said...

wow...I'm super curious about the guitar story now! And change is good. That's how I got the job I had for the last five years, and how I ended up in Salt Lake working with you! Great leaps of faith. Good luck!

Katherine said...

I love this post, Steve. This world is already a better place from your presence, but change IS good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has epiphanies in the early morning hours. :)

"Steve out." Love it!

Matt and Vicki said...

Change sucks, never do it. Let everything just stay how it is, sit back in the shadows and don't say or do anything. In the end everything will be just fine....just kidding. Haha, funny, funny. Okay not funny, in fact a little bedeviling. Change is not only good, but what we are on this earth to do. God didn't send us here to return exactly how we are. Growth, development, and progress are the sole goal of our existence here.

Dustin and Brynna said...

Steve, you are the best. Don't ever think otherwise. I don't want you to leave because I will miss you, but if it is up to Dustin, we are leaving too. You are such a great friend and person and you leave more of an impression on me and many others than you will ever know. Love ya tons...by the way, changed my blog AND updated to The Lamb Family :)