Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tune,Tune, Snap!

I teach guitar in the morning around 7 AM everyday so, my brain is barely functioning as it is, but last Thursday I was teaching one of my newer students and we have gone over the whole tuning process several times by this point, so when its time to tune, it is quiet time so that the electronic tuner can pick up whether the guitar is sharp or flat. Well, even if you have never seen a guitar before you know that the higher the sting is in pitch the thinner the string gets and tuning can get a little ugly as I quickly found out...
So I have learned that tuning time can be a prime time to sit back and just take a little nap at 7 in the morning. So, there I was listening to my students tune the lower strings first and then moving up to the higher strings when I hear that he is just cranking that tuning peg up with the highest string! I try to tell him to simmer down and that string just busted whipping my student in the face and making him bleed!! I am slightly freaking out at this point because like I said my brain is not functioning that early in the morn! I grab him a towel like a crazy person and thankfully he is a tough kid, but needless to say the lesson was a little shaky... Well what can ya do I guess, but laugh and hope he learned his lesson.. I am just glad I didn't get whipped in the face..

3 comments:

Megan said...

He he he...I did that once in guitar class...And to make it worse, I broke my g string...You can imagine how embarrassing it was to announce that to the whole class. PS. Thanks for inviting me. And in Portuguese. I need to brush up. :)

Kaylyn said...

Oh that would have been hilarious to witness that scene! If I ever move back to Utah, can you teach me guitar? Maybe not at 7 am though...

Julie said...

that is one crappy lesson...I am just happy you have never made me bleed...sounds fierce